26 June, 2017

MN Mondays #14 - On the Hill

St. Paul's on the Hill Episcopal Church (affectionately known as SPOTH), is a fine old church.  The parish folded a few  years ago and the building needs serious repairs, but she is a grand and glorious space.  Designed by Emmanuel Louis Masqueray, the same architect that designed the Cathedral of St. Paul (St. Paul) and the Basilica of St. Mary (Minneapolis), the acoustics in this intimate space still are some of the best in the Twin Cities.

Over the years, I have spent many (_many_) hours singing in that space for several different reasons.  The Gregorian Singers started rehearsing and performing there in the mid 'aughts.  I was a paid singer there for several summers over the years.

But the biggest part of my time there started in 2008 or so.  Jacob became the organist for evening and holy day services there and had to put together quartets and a rotation of solo cantors.  SPOTH was one of the few parishes that did a service for every holiday and saint's day on the church calendar.  And I mean _every_ one.  So he or I or both would be at SPOTH at least once or twice a week.  It was not uncommon to get a text or email at work asking if I could pinch hit for a service that very evening.  This is why I have my "traveling cassock" in my car to this day.

Frankly, when you're in the middle of such a workhorse-like treadmill, it's difficult to see the good things that are going on as well.  It could be a challenging place to care about sometimes, as it had it's own rhythm and way of doing things.  But when we did the final service there, I found myself moved in a way that I hadn't quite expected to be.

The music that was made there was special.  And the space absorbed it all; would ring with it for a while after each service.

1 comment:

Margaret Gilbert said...

SPOTH was not only a special place for singers. Altar Guild members also felt special as we would set up for all these special services (changing the colors on the altars and the vestments for the priest)