30 June, 2017

MN Mondays #18 - The Singers

In the spring of 2005, my friend Dave invited everyone in church choir to come hear a concert that he was singing in with a relatively new choral group.  I knew that the core of the group was people who had sung with Dale Warland until he retired and disbanded his choir.  That's pretty much all I knew.

So Jacob and I and some other folks from St. Christopher's attended the last concert of the season for a group named The Singers at the Basilica of St. Mary.  And I was blown away by the quality of the ensemble.  I left there knowing that I was going to audition as soon as there was an opportunity.  Turns out there was a pretty immediate opportunity and I joined their ranks that fall at the beginning of season 3.  This fall we'll start season 14 and it will be my twelfth with the amazing group of people.

There have been many mountain top experiences with The Singers: Martin's Mass, Rachmaninoff's Vespers, Talbot's Path of Miracles, Carnahan's Ghost Camp, and too many others to list.  More recently, you've all been bombarded by links to YouTube videos of the music we've been making in recent years, but there have been many moments over that weren't captured.  And a recording never really matches the in-person experience.

So if you're a choral music lover living near the Twin Cities, you owe it to yourself to check us out.  It will be worth your time and money, even if I do say so myself.  For example...


1 comment:

John Prothero said...

I have become a fan of The Singers through the YouTube videos, and now have become social media friends with Matthew and Caroline. Too bad I live in So Cal, because I'd audition too!